Skip to main content

Getting Back Out There

Almost a month has passed since my last post; not because I have been apathetic to this blog, rather the weather has caused a short sabbatical to our climbing. Each week the same routine would transpire. The first few days would start out beautiful, but by the end of the week the inevitable rains would come. We spent most of the month of January inside. We each found something to do to fill the time. Luke was working on a project with his dad and I spent my free time planting a garden of succulents in my house, trying my hardest to bring a little of that nature I was missing inside (one day soon I will post a picture or two).

Fast forward to the first weekend of February. The first week in a month that it didn't rain. We both knew we wanted to get outside, but we also knew we hadn't touched rock in a month, moreover, many of the big climbs in Redrock were still covered in snow. Playing it safe, we headed to first pullout to do some easy sport climbing. Knowing I might not get another chance in a while, I took every opportunity to climb as much as possible. I ended up climbing the best I probably ever have. I lead all of the routes at the easy crag I was at, and even ended up leading a trad route. One nice thing about climbing in the gym this wet season has been being able to get stronger, and having my confidence grow. Sometimes we need a little time away to help us realize how much we love something and to help push us to grow.

We ended up running into some friends from the climbing gym at the crag. One of the women climbing with them ending up joining us for our trad climb. She was inspiring to me. She is a retired teacher and decided that she wanted to take up climbing. So here she is trying things the young kids are doing just because she can. I never want my age to stop me from doing something I love.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Puppy Smiles and Red Rock

Some weeks, we are so tired because of our day jobs that we hardly have energy for the weekend. We went out to Red Rock only to realize that we didn't feel like climbing. We met up with some friends, watched them climb a few routes, and then ended up heading home. Despite the fact that we didn't climb, Ellie was in rare form and was so happy to be outside, as proof by her smiles in the pictures.

Snowy Zion

For Christmas this year I asked for a new camera.  The one I had previously was pretty old and bulky and I found myself not taking it out as much because it was too heavy to carry. Luke ended up getting me an awesome sony alpha. It is a mirrorless camera, so it is tiny and light weight, perfect for fitting in a backpack. The only thing I really wanted to do for my Christmas break was to see Zion in the snow. Luke timed it perfectly so we could be there just after it snowed, and after Christmas so I would have my camera. It was so beautiful in Zion that day. Probably my favorite look I have ever seen. A perfect blanket of white snow covering everywhere mixed with the red rocks. The further we got into the canyon, the more snow there was. We didn't even make it to the Narrows because the snow was just too deep and the road was too icy. We still managed to get some awesome photos though. The only downside to it being so snowy is that there wasn't much as far as adventures to be

Vanishing Falls

Rain seems to ever be our forecast here in the desert this winter, which means climbing outdoors is an impossibility.  We continually climb inside trying to get stronger, but it really isn't the same. We decided to take Luke's parents out to Red Rock to plan an upcoming trip. While we were there we stopped at one of our favorite pullouts, and there just so happened to be this amazing waterfall right off of the trail. Water in the desert is pretty rare, and it was wonderful to have the chance to see the water from the rain in this rare way.